Sunday, July 17, 2011

Perch Training has Started

Introduced a few new things to Kastle this morning at his training session for breakfast. He gets so excited when I take him down into the basement training room. He is also standing and waiting semi-patiently to be told what we are working on instead of flinging himself at the food bowl. A lot of thinking and control for a little pup!

I started with the perch, the first time he's ever seen it. I marked and treated the first time for touching it. He enjoyed that so much that it was extremely straight-forward and simple to lure him up there with his front feet. He got such a kick out of it that I ended up taking the simple introduction I had planned on doing with him to actually having him put his feet square on it and getting marked and treated for that. What a smart little guy!

His heeling both on the left and in between my legs is coming along very nicely and he is already starting to control himself by just getting the food and less my fingers. His bite inhibition is really coming along too, he is redirecting quickly onto toys I offer instead of my fingers/toes/clothes/legs - a lot faster than I expected him to catch on. The restrained recalls are pretty much my favorite thing that we are doing right now. I can definitely see the effects when we're out with a lot of really fun distractions and I can call him to me anyway - at 8 weeks old!

No comments:

Post a Comment