Saturday, July 9, 2011

It's Official...

I am getting the largest puppy in the litter, this sable male.

At 3 weeks:
At 5.5 weeks:

Rinus emailed me several times today to clarify exactly what I want in my pup - it was tough to pick because the males are all really nice and drivey. He tells me that the largest has the biggest drive and is the best choice. He will also be a plush coat. Ronny, Como's (the sire) handler/owner/trainer/world champ 2010 in SchH was also out to look the litter over and agrees that this pup is the one! I asked for high, high, high drive, STABLE temperament and the ability to do the work of SchH as a top competitor. I could not be more excited!!!!

For those that might be interested, here are a couple of videos of Como...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Can't wait to see more pictures of Kastle. His sire is an impressive and gorgeous dog. I know nothing about Schutzhund can you explain a little about it?

    I am still going back and forth on whether I will go rescue or reputable breeder. I love Sophie and would not change her for the world but I would prefer a dog with a rock solid temperment. I have my eye on a Windycanyon Lab for next time. She has some awesome and versatile labradors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am quite excited about this breeding too! :-)

    Here are some excellent links for a broad overview of SchH: http://www.dvgamerica.com/whatis.html , leerburg.com/pdf/Schutzund.pdf , https://kraftwerkk9.com/faq/what-is-schutzhund/

    In my own words: SchH is an extremely physically and mentally demanding sport both for the dog and the handler. It requires tight team work, total trust and a balanced and stable dog to excel. There are three phases: tracking, obedience and protection. Eden is actually being trained in SchH style tracking and obedience as it is MUCH more stylistically strict than AKC/UKC so she will be able to compete in other venues with her training.

    I chose lines that had dogs that did extremely well in SchH because I like the GSD breed and my most favorite dogs that are rock-solid, stable and have fantastic temperaments are bred specifically with the sport in mind. They are well-rounded, athletic, obedient, smart and just a joy to work and live with. Exactly what I want in a performance/companion and house dog.

    I have fostered and rescued dogs in the past and my most enjoyable experience so far has been adopting a dog from a breeder that failed out of conformation (Eden). However, with the HUGE number of Labs/crosses that end up in shelters/rescues the odds of getting an awesome dog that way is quite high. That being said, if I was going to get another Lab, I would buy from: http://www.piccadillylabs.com/ - have seen her dogs personally in various events and met them and find them amazing and versatile as well (plus I LOVE the looks of her lines).

    ReplyDelete