Saturday, March 10, 2012

Skunked

Kastle's medication for his mouth makes him have to pee more often. I also get up often in the middle of the night so I've been in the habit of letting him out to potty at the same time. This morning he lunged after what I thought was a cat in our driveway, I called him off quickly, he peed and came right back into the house. At which point I realized it was not a cat...but a skunk. *sigh* Kastle smelled so horrible, I almost could not detect it at first and I already had him in the living room when I realized. Plus, the stupid thing hit the side of the house (by the kitchen/entry) and the Element. I popped Kastle in the basement and then started to Google around (and check my trusty GSD forums!) for advice. I found this recipe:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 teaspoon of liquid soap


 Mix this up at the time of use (the mixture must be fresh to work properly). Pour or sponge it on dog. Knead it well into his coat. Be careful to keep the formula out if the dog's eyes, nose and mouth; you can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his/her face. Let it sit five minutes then rinse with plain water. Becareful not to get it in the dogs eyes. Cover them with a wash cloth if needed. If a second dose is needed mix a new batch from scratch. The mixture reacts with the chemicals in the skunk spray and oxidizes them. If the mixture is not fresh, the reaction will not work. Do Not Store leftover shampoo.

I got the idea off of THIS website. The recipe was referenced more than once by people that had used it so I thought "why not?". It worked AWESOME. I smeared vaseline over his eyes and around his nose and was VERY careful to not get it in his mouth. I left it on for the 5 minutes and by the end, when I was rinsing him off, I could not smell a thing. He was extra poofy and dark though. So thankful for this! The rest of the house, however, REEKS. We have candles burning, windows open and fans blowing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment