Thursday, March 29, 2012

Obedience at the Park

Kastle was high as a kite at the park again today. Pinch was on but I had to do some harsh corrections paired with calming signal touching to get him to work properly. I may have to run him first, so he gets some energy out before asking him to heel properly. He muzzle punched me in the face twice (out of excitement, not aggression and it was barely brushing me, not slamming into me by any means), which is completely unacceptable.

Here is what the heeling (we also did sit and down out of motion and some recalls), looks like when he gets a hold of himself. I need to teach him a "real" left turn, he's starting to get too...well, good, at the crazy jumping left turn so I need to quit doing that until he knows how to turn.
Here is the correction video. It is broken down for critique. I firmly believe that with a high drive, non-soft dog such as Kastle, the best and most clear way to make him understand what I want and what is unacceptable is to pair clear, quick and precise corrections with calming touch and praise at the right moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment