Monday, January 2, 2012

Starting Leash Pressure

Decided to start leash pressure with Kastle. These are very simple lessons and once learned, will be utilized to clear up his positioning for heeling. I teach direction by very steadily, calmly and matter-of-factly pulling his leash in one direction until he finally goes that way. We started with moving forward as that is the easiest. So, I put my hand on the leash close to the collar (he is on a pinch for clarity) and pull forward, do not jerk, in a steady motion. At first, Kastle plants and pulls backwards (expected), then he leaps forward, mark and treat. I continued in all directions, including up and down (sit and platz). He caught on really quickly and would even leap backwards into a sit when I started the exercise in a sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment