Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sick Puppy

Unbeknownst to me, Kastle swiped half of a lemon (a lemon, cut in half and juiced but otherwise whole) from Jason while he was cleaning up from dinner...and swallowed it, whole. This morning, he woke me up bright and early making his pre-puke noises. I rushed him outside where some odd-shaped half-ball appeared in the yard. I had no idea what it was, brought him back in, gave him some water and back in his crate until a more reasonable time to wake up.

Well, it turns out that was the lemon. Jason recognized it and realized what had happened. The lemon was sitting in his stomach all night and the acidity had a very adverse effect on him. He went from slightly woozy in the morning, rapidly downhill by bed time. He was lethargic and could not keep anything down, even water. He wouldn't get up on the couch unless I lifted him and we periodically had to rush outside for a massive water vomit. It was really depressing and made me really sad. He wasn't dehydrated and seemed pretty alert.


I asked on a GSD forum I frequent and was told to give Slippery Elm with a bland diet. Slippery Elm is a natural remedy that is helpful with any type of mucosal upsets. Kastle was supposed to take it with the scrambled egg and scoop of yogurt but at that time was refusing food. I force-fed him two capsules and then waited until morning to see how he was doing. He was very subdued for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment