Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Flyball Changes

Tonight Kastle had his feet taped before we started practice. I want him to get used to something on his hocks/stop pads for when his boots come in. We graduated from the jumbo jump board down to the small one so he can start getting used to the picture with no board in it (for at tournaments).
 We also put Kastle in as the 2nd dog in the team which means he passed into Rhythm (which we had been practicing) and Ping passed into Kastle (which was new). He had a little bobble when he almost took Ping out trying to catch his ball after he dropped it but he never looked at the other dogs at all. I just need to make sure I call him strong so that he comes right to me and his tug reward. I also worked on a different way to start him per Craig at Slammers because our start times are inconsistent due to the lunging/barking before I release him. I launched him from my thighs...this hurt a lot and resulted in some pretty serious scratches/bruising (I found out later), but Kastle was a lot more consistent and he liked it, he kept trying to cock his legs back into position when I grabbed him, which is cute :-)
ETA: the bruises...

1 comment:

  1. Go Kastle! It took me awhile to find a hold and release that worked for Sophie. When we started our start times were all over the map because she was bucking and pulling. I tried starting her from my legs and she bruised and scratched me soo bad, I couldn't do it again. Now I hold her collar with one hand and back legs with the other. Say ready and she cocks herself back into a push position. But ouch the bruises from starting on my thighs...good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete