Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tennis Ball Impulse Control

We need to get some control with the loose tennis balls at flyball practice. I LOVE impulse control exercises :-) We bought 24 tennis balls and cut them loose at Pawsitive. First, I just brought Kastle in and watched his mind explode. After a little while with that, I asked for obedience (down, stay, come and get *this* particular ball) and work for one ball - not outing and grabbing others endlessly. Then I brought out his flyball reward tug and asked for the same thing. When I felt confident he was understanding, Jason started to pick up the tennis balls - while bouncing them or tossing them towards us. Every time Kastle would get the sudden urge to grab one of those, he would bite his tug harder and shake it. It was a well-learned lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment