Sunday, August 14, 2011

Raving!

We went to Brian Harvey's today for training (a very knowledgeable and experienced trainer/helper). I got Kastle out to work on his obedience: in-between the legs heeling, fast sit/platz, send to perch, spin/pivot on perch and a 50 yard restrained recall. Brian said that he was very impressed with what I was doing with him. That made me really happy :-)
Protection was up next. Here is a video of what we're currently working on with Kastle:
We're going to nix the attempts to cradle his hold - he's too young and he hates it. Instead, I'm going to cradle his whole chest and let him decide to hold or drop. No more harness, he is going to be strong so he needs to start learning restraint on a collar right from the get-go.
Overall, Brian was very pleased with him and said quite a few things that made me extremely ecstatic. He thinks Kastle is a 10 on a 10 point scale, that he is V level potential (the highest rating you can get in Schutzhund - all three phases) and that he has very balanced drives. He predicts that with the proper training, he will protect me as an adult but will also be social enough for the types of atmospheres that I enjoy bringing my dogs. In short, absolutely everything I've been looking for in a pup!!!!! :-D
A disclaimer to that - Kastle is 12 weeks old. Just a baby. Right now he is showing balanced drives and has great potential. There is no guarantee what he'll turn out as. According to Brian, he has the potential to be a solid sport only dog or a more "gnarly" personal protection-type dog. He could go either way depending on what kind of training I want and put on him. Life's experiences will of course have an impact on his adult temperament/personality but at this stage of the game - he is 100% perfect for me! He's incredibly balanced, friendly and happy - combined in an absolutely adorable body with insane drive, a bit of a 'tude and a tiny smidge of temper mixed with a demanding nature. For me, the perfect recipe! LOVE this puppy!!!!

1 comment: